Sunday, June 8, 2008

Funny thing happened on the way to Confession...

...I caught myself smiling.

Yesterday I left after work to go meet someone to take the little sparrow I found with the broken wing. I had to drive about 1/2 an hour away.

As I was coming back, heading to church, I found myself smiling & looking forward to going into confession. WOW! That's the first time for me ~ to feel that way. How wonderful is it that we can go to reconciliation and receive absolution & guidance to help us draw closer to Christ.

Please don't take my smiling to mean I wasn't sorry for my sins...I was & am. It's just knowing I have someone to share my struggles with, who can guide me, and who understands my desire to be closer to Christ in all I say & do...that is an amazing gift from Jesus and I'm so thankful he gave it to us.

I use to think that going to confession wasn't necessary - that 'no mere man' could forgive my sins...but only God could. Now that I have a much better understanding of this sacrament I am so grateful I have the opportunity to go & receive it.

Dearest Jesus, I thank you for the sacrament of reconciliation that you established through your apostles. Thank you for recognizing our human needs to confess & receive absolution and for providing us a way to draw closer to you. Lord Jesus, please bless all our priests who participate in this sacrament by welcoming us into a deeper communion with you. Please watch over & protect them. Holy Spirit, please give them wisdom and discernment when listening to confessions so that they may help others become more like Jesus. Heavenly Father, I thank you for our Christian brothers who have answered your call to the priesthood. Please continue to poor out your blessings upon them. Please send your Spirit to draw others to the priesthood and other religious vocations. Help all of us Lord that are in the process of discerning your will in our lives. Please give us wisdom and send someone to help guide us on this journey. Thank you Father for always answering our prayers, even when the answer is 'no'. I submit myself to your will, oh Lord, and humbly ask for your blessings upon me as well. Praise be to you Lord God! Amen.
<><

No comments: