Saturday, June 7, 2008

Employee Problems

Disclaimer: The following is just how I process my thoughts & emotions...only meant to reflect what I was feeling at the moment, and not necessarily how I always feel...........

Well...I have to cover the store today...so that makes 6 days in a row. Ok - I know I'm whining - please bear with me...I just need to let it out: I'm tired of not having time off, of being expected to handle everything at the stores, of employees not being disciplined when they do things wrong...especially tired of that.

Once again the 'employee' is sick. And he did not call me by 7:30 am, like I told him to, so that I would know if I had to get up. Instead when my alarm went off at 7:30 am, I got up, played a bit with my dog...then waited a few minutes. When I didn't get a call from him I tried calling him myself - two times, 10 minutes apart. He never answered. Instead of risking no one being at the store I got up & got ready to leave.

He finally called...at 8:24am, when I was walking out to my car to go to the store. He said he slept though his alarm. I asked it he was coming in and he replied "I really don't want to...", to which I bit back my retort that "well - neither do I but it looks like I am". Again - I didn't say that -- but oh how I wanted to! I know I can be sarcastic at times - but usually I keep those thoughts to myself - I pray that with the Lord's help I will stop even thinking like that -- it really doesn't do me any good.

This is by far the hardest job I've had. I oversee our 3 cell stores - and that means I do almost everything to keep them running. However, my boss (the owner), whom I've worked for for over 3 years, and known for about 10, wants to be the 'authority' figure when it comes to employee issues. I have a big problem with this - mostly because he doesn't address the issues & I am the one who has to deal with the employees daily, including correcting their mistakes & dealing with customer complaints. Most of those mistakes & complaints come from this very same employee who has now been sick for the past two days.

I've worked hard at training him. I've provided him with every tool I can think of. I've gone over his past mistakes with him & showed him how he should have done things. I've continuously told him to contact me if he has any questions. I've complimented him when he did well and tried to encourage him when ever I had to correct some issue.

What else do I do??? It seems my boss thinks this employee is awesome - but while at first he seemed to be, really went after getting people into the stores, etc, since the second month he has been with us he hasn't done much of anything.

He continually ignores emails, is asking to leave early for personal activities, disregards company policies (nothing major - just the 'little ones')....I would so appreciate any advice that anyone can give me -- especially anyone with HR experience.

In my mind what we (company) should do is (and we haven't because I don't have time to do my part of the job):

Start documenting every problem
Have a review with him (I could do a 6 month review for the 1st year - then yearly after that -- we currently have no policy on reviews)
Provide him with Job Description
And follow a set procedure for corrections when necessary (verbal, written, etc)

A major problem is, we are a start up company, and as such, my boss can not afford the number of employees he should have, so that I, as the Ops Director can do what I need to do. I'm salary, and expected to work 5 days a week....instead I put in 6 day weeks - and over 60 hrs.

Matter of fact - I'm at work now, but taking a break (which I don't typically do). I'm hoping my boss will be stopping by today because I really need to talk to him about these issues. I'm feeling incredibly overwhelmed with what I need to do. And I feel that I have no support.

Please don't get me wrong....I do like my job...I just needed to 'journal' all this out. It helps my thought process...it lets me get all the 'bad out' of myself...so I can then pray & ask the Lord to help me.

WHEW! -- Ok - I'm feeling better -- thanks for allowing me to gripe a bit. I don't know about you but I find that getting 'it all out' on paper (or a blog) helps me tremendously.

Lord ~ Thank you for all you bless me with, my work, friends, family, and the many other blessings. Thank you for providing me with a job where I can use the talents you have given to me. Thank you for putting people in my life that have helped me grow into a better employee. Lord I ask for your help ~ please send your Holy Spirit to give me wisdom & guidance in dealing with those you have placed under me at work -- help me Father to not abuse my position, but to use it to help them grow into better employees, and to help them succeed in their work. Help me to be a light to them, just as those many other people were there for me. Lord you are so loving and so forgiving...please help me to be the same way. I'm ashamed when I hold grudges against others, or get angry with them because they don't do something I think they should, please Lord, change my heart into a loving one and help me to be a servant leader to them Lord. Help me, through your Son, to love them, just as you love them. Thank you Father for hearing my requests. I ask the most Blessed Mother & all the angels & saints to pray for me to the Lord, my God. ~ Amen

<><

No comments: